In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1lugar de cría masculinoa breeding ground for revolutionaries — un semillero de revolucionarios
- a breeding ground for opposition/violence — un caldo de cultivo para la oposición/la violencia
- Excess debris, leaves, and moisture are breeding grounds for insects.
- Coastal wetlands are also breeding grounds for economically important fish and shellfish.
- West Nile is a concern because the standing water can serve as a breeding ground.
- This was the largest recorded breeding ground and nest concentrated area.
- Even the greenest and purest, seemingly untouched fields were breeding grounds filled with fermenting disease and devastation.
- With row after row of cacao trees vulnerable to attack, plantations provide ample breeding grounds for pathogens.
- Zoos, by nature, are breeding grounds for high numbers of rodents.
- Removal of trash and debris around the field helps to eliminate slug breeding grounds.
- Consequently, attention has focused on this type of market as a breeding ground for infections that affect humans.
- Unfortunately, summer and grills together make the perfect breeding ground for bacteria.
- Under the right conditions, wet structures and contents can be a perfect breeding ground for mold spores.
- Watching them soar, glide, call, and even dance at their spring wetland breeding grounds has fascinated people for eons.
- You cannot see mites, but you can either remove their favorite breeding grounds or keep these areas dry and clean.
- The entire coastal waters of Cardigan Bay are a haven for wildlife and a perfect breeding ground for seabirds.
- Pigs in particular create breeding grounds for mosquitoes, which carry avian pox and malaria.
- Standing water is a breeding ground for mosquitoes.
- They'll appreciate the shallow water for breeding grounds and repay the favor by eating mosquito larvae.
- They're also conduits of life, breeding grounds for small marine animals and feed areas for larger ones.
- Standing water in a house can also serve as a breeding ground for insects and other animals.
- Raw eggs contain a lot of water, making them a perfect breeding ground for illness-causing bacteria.
- Dark, dank and musty, it was the perfect breeding ground for countless deadly germs and diseases.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.