In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The farmhouse itself was a large and traditional brick-built building with a sloping grey.
- I did all sorts of jobs, ranging from cattle sheds to brick-built houses.
- In the corner, there's a brick-built utility shed with plumbing for a washer and dryer, some storage units and a sink.
- This is a striking room with a brick-built fireplace, exposed brick wall and a luxurious cream carpet.
- I intend to erect an insulated brick-built structure in a shady corner.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.