In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1vocablo o expresión del inglés británico
- Scholars of English in the US are as inclined to point out Briticisms as their colleagues in the UK are to point out Americanisms.
- This article chronicles some of these differences, although some of the proclaimed Briticisms here don't seem so British to me at all.
- Accordingly, I made a conscious effort to avoid overdoing the unfamiliar Briticisms and obscure pop-cultural references, providing explanations and links whenever they were needed.
- She's reading an Ian McEwan book for school, and I have to help her with its Britishisms.
- He comes from a party, he says, ‘that lost four elections on the trot’ (a wonderful Britishism for ‘in a row’).
- I got a new camera - a proper camera as the English would say (that's my favorite Briticism: proper).
- Co-workers of state employee Alice Meredith say that since a one-week trip to England last month, her use of Britishisms has become an annoyance.
- A reader who knows put me right: ‘one-off is a Britishism that means single or one-time.’
- The simulation is perfectly fluent; the program even writes in Britishisms: maths, programme, telly, labour.
- And while you're about it, give a thought to other delightful Britishisms that have roots in Indian words: mulligatawny soup, Old Blighty, tickety-boo, going doolally…
- Specialism must be a Britishism, I told myself.
- More open to interpretation is ‘off one's own bat ’, which certainly originates from cricket, but is not always marked as a Briticism in American dictionaries.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.