In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1inglés británico masculino
- For example in spelling, Canadian usage stands midway between American English and British English hence such spellings as color, program and center which reflect American usage and colour.
- If the English exams concentrated more on American English than on British English, she says, her students would do better.
- This derives from Beijing Mandarin and is about as similar to that dialect as American English is to British English.
- New Zealand English resembles British English in a number of ways.
- Webster wanted to distinguish American English from British English by correcting irregular spellings and eliminating silent letters.
- Klima's book, translated into British English by Gerald Turner, takes us to a city even sadder than Berlin.
- People accept and appreciate the difference between US English and British English and the difference between traditional and simplified Chinese characters.
- Patrick Crozier has been comparing various expressions from British English with equivalent expressions from American English, in order to figure out which form of the language is better.
- Problems arise if you're a speaker of British English and you're reading something written in the US or Australia.
- Some of them sound OK to me, and others sound pretty funny, but I wouldn't recommend trusting my unaided intuitions on a question like this, even though I did grow up speaking British English.
- All around us people yelled in Spanish, German, French, Russian, Italian, British English, American English, Irish English etc.
- The latter style isn't wrong, and some prefer it because it seems more logical; my Oxford English Grammar says that it's the norm in British English.
- English, Jamaica's official language, is spoken with many variations ranging from British English to Jamaican Patois, which is now a language of its own.
- The Daily Telegraph reports that the new test required of applicants for British citizenship requires knowledge of where the different dialects of British English are spoken.
- Frankly, Americans understanding or not understanding British English is a matter for the US education system.
- Many people still think of Indian English as inferior, and see British English as the only ‘proper’ English.
- Thus, educated speakers of American English and British English can be regarded as using dialects of the same language because differences of these three kinds exist between them.
- Although written in British English, the book is easy to read because it maintains a simple structure.
- The differences in words and meanings of words between British English and American English are a constant source of interest and amusement to me.
- Americans sometimes forget that most of the English-speaking countries use British English.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.