In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The daily soup was a healthy vegetable broth containing rice, onion, celery, carrot and turnip.
- There are many different types of soups out there, ranging from consommés and broths to chowders and stews.
- Surprised by the quality, we came back for a lunch, this time big bowls of chunky vegetable broth flavoured with tarragon and dessert pancakes cooked to order.
- Spoon the broth with vegetables into soup bowls.
- Ladle the broth, chicken and vegetables into four warm soup bowls, and scatter with parsley leaves.
- The soup is a vegetable broth that tastes eerily of chicken, with overcooked tomatoes, carrots, zucchini and celery.
- Mash some of the beans with a potato masher to thicken the broth.
- Bouillon soup, a thin vegetable-based broth, is also a good source of vitamins and minerals (including salt and potassium), to top up the body's depleted resources.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and let cook about 25 minutes, until vegetables are tender and broth smells lightly of the cheese.
- To serve, place some rice and dashi broth into a soup bowl and top with some nori, Japanese leeks, and sesame seeds.
- This was rice, sausage, fresh herbs and broth cooked in the oven as you would prepare paella at home.
- There's even a very basic tortilla soup, which is little more than a stout chicken broth floating with softened tortilla strips.
- A vast white bowl of broth thickened with very finely processed but still perceptible vegetables, interspersed with chunky meatballs and big pasta shells.
- Professor Kidunae Ikeda comes home from the physics faculty at the Tokyo Imperial University and sits down to eat a broth of vegetables and tofu prepared by his wife.
- Slide them into the thick broth and let them cook until opaque - a few minutes, but at any rate less than 10.
- To serve, spoon some clams and broth into a soup bowl, and garnish with mint and lemon zest.
- I opted for the soup of the day, a vegetable and lentil broth, and a ham, cheese, tomato and Dijon mustard panini.
- Citron grills octopus until it's sultry and smoky, then adds opaline orbs of cod cheeks to soak up a rich black-currant-and-caper broth.
- This is a sophisticated clear broth with sliced fresh vegetables added at the end.
- It had a dark broth, cooked vegetables and small chunks of meat.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.