In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Since its beginnings, the Hindu religion in Bali has been closely related to Buddhism.
- She wrote about her adventures and what she learned about Buddhism and the mysteries of Tibet.
- So we were very eager to practice Buddhism in such a way that we could bring it into society.
- Falun Gong is a mixture of Buddhism, Taoism and meditation and breathing exercises.
- This seems to be the point of convergence between Christianity and Buddhism.
- The Qianlong Emperor surpassed his predecessors as a patron of Buddhism and Buddhist art.
- This awakening is the crucial watershed in the Buddha's life and the key reference point for Buddhism.
- He sees this balance most clearly in the Eastern religions, particularly Buddhism and Hinduism.
- The practice of Dharma refers to following Buddhism's Eightfold Path to Enlightenment.
- The goal of Buddhism is nirvana, a transcendence of the confines of mind and body.
- The study of Buddhism over the past century or so has resembled the encounter of the blind men and the elephant in many ways.
- Place this religious psychology alongside Buddhism, with its fleeing of the world.
- Depending on the sect of Buddhism, the word bodhisattva has essentially two meanings.
- Although Buddhism originated in India it now flourishes predominantly in other parts of Asia.
- Zen is the common name for this branch of Buddhism in Japanese as well as in English.
- This all changed when Hsiao gained a spiritual interest in Buddhism a decade ago.
- My own interest has been in the actual practice of Buddhism in Buddhist lands today.
- Much of Kendo's philosophy is drawn from Zen and from Buddhism and from Shintoism.
- For about a millennium after the death of the Buddha, Buddhism flourished in India.
- Ergo, Buddhism would have a western flavour in the west while keeping to the teachings of the Buddha.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.