In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- From 1909 Galerkin began to study building sites and construction works throughout Europe.
- Just in the last few weeks it's started to change from being a building site to buildings.
- The move should help keep down construction inflation costs and make building sites safer.
- This considers advertisement hoardings to be acceptable around building sites or where they screen unsightly areas.
- Her mother's family were construction engineers and through visiting building sites as a child she became interested in construction.
- Athens, a site of great historical interest, was a building site a matter of months ago.
- John worked on various building sites during the early 1920s, including the construction of Wembley Stadium.
- Mr Kelleher said it was understandable that children would have a natural curiosity about building sites but safety had to remain a priority.
- The site is still a building site, with stacks of concrete blocks and scaffolding in the bare corridors.
- There have been many reports of machinery having been stolen at building sites at various locations around the area.
- For that reason, he uses a rock milling machine when excavating for streets, highways, and building sites.
- Industrial and construction noises from factories and building sites also produced a barrage of complaints.
- The construction materials are very expensive but there are more building sites than workers available.
- It depicts a construction worker hanging desperately from a steel girder on a building site.
- For as long as six years the families at the Shandon site were living on what was nothing more than a building site.
- Petty cash, company stationary, mobile phones and laptops rank high among items stolen from offices, building sites and changing rooms.
- He's a big man with a withering sense of humour honed after a generation on Scottish building sites where getting brickies to trowel cement more quickly is a form of black art.
- Amish construction groups travel to building sites for commercial and residential construction.
- During 1946, up to one fifth of all farm work in Britain was being done by German POWs, and they were also employed on road works and building sites.
- Would you like to grade a building site with the same ease that you play a computer game?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.