In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The biggest ever shipment of salt left the port of Walvis Bay last week in the bulk carrier, the Gem of Tuticorn.
- Reports from Lloyds List of London today state that Panama has ordered the arrest of the Panama-flagged bulker Otterloo for international arms trafficking.
- The Type 23 warship was on patrol in the Gulf region when she received a distress call from a Greek-registered bulk carrier, asking for help in evacuating a member of the crew who was suspected of having had a heart attack.
- I have even seen a report that confuses this small freighter with a multi-thousand-tonne bulk carrier of the same name that also went down in the Red Sea.
- The breakthrough comes almost three weeks after the bulk carrier ran aground just off the coast between Bhirha and Hamburg on June 7.
- At the time of her 1958 launching, the 730-foot Edmund Fitzgerald was the largest bulk carrier on the Great Lakes.
- The refugees, who had fled from Iraq, had been at sea for eight days in the Mediterranean after leaving Turkey aboard a Cambodian-registered bulk carrier, the East Sea.
- Zodiac, with about 120 ships, will provide a capesize bulk carrier, ranging in size from 150,000 dwt to 180,000 dwt to ship iron ore from Brazil to Shanghai.
- I presume the vessel was a bulk carrier or a general cargo ship, loaded with steel.
- This 160,000 ton bulk carrier hit the Stags reef in 1986.
- The mystery surrounding the grounding of a bulk carrier has deepened after an initial Marine Department investigation ruled out mechanical failure.
- His father was a sea captain on very large bulk carrier ships, and like all children of seafarers he saw his father infrequently.
- The message came from the Liberian-registered 170,000 tonne bulk carrier Cape Rosa which had a man on board who needed urgent medical treatment.
- Far away, against the horizon, a large bulk carrier looked almost motionless as she made her way against the strong coastal current.
- On 12 January 2003, the MV Dorine, a Polish bulk carrier flying the flag of Cyprus, berthed in Bell Bay, Launceston.
- Cape Asia has already ordered a similar size bulk carrier from the shipyard.
- Two teams of Scottish & Southern Energy electrical engineers travelled to the county to help with storm damage, while a bulk carrier en route to Iceland with 4,000 tonnes of wood has took shelter off Sanday until the weather abated.
- The oldest vessel is a bulk carrier 42 years old and almost all the ships on the list are regarded as very high risk.
- Spokeswoman Clare du Plooy-Gomes said the bulk carrier, grounded 300 metres off Scarborough beach since September 5th, was successfully refloated at 3am.
- These concerns were illustrated last December when the Special Boat Squadron, the maritime SAS, intercepted and boarded the Nisha, an Indian-owned bulk carrier, in the English Channel.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.