In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- These were a ram for a burnt offering, and two young goats for a sin-offering.
- Once he arrives there, he must offer Isaac as a burnt offering upon the mountain.
- Since the flour was placed atop the burnt offerings, it was the burnt offerings that still constituted the basis of the sacrificial service (s).
- This man says, you foolish people, are you going back to your burnt offerings and sacrifices?
- The burnt offering was the most comprehensive of the sacrifices and was offered to cover over sins and as a symbol of the total consecration of the presenter to God.
- The traditional understanding of this text teaches that God told Abraham to bind his son Isaac and sacrifice him to God as a burnt offering.
- For the Tabernacle of The Lord, which Moses made in the wilderness, and the altar of the burnt offering, were at that season in the high place at Gibeon.
- From all the possibilities placed before him, the one that faithful Abraham hears is that he has to sacrifice Isaac as a burnt offering.
- Three sacrifices were offered - the sin offering, the burnt offering, and the ordination offering.
- Juxtaposed with the burnt offerings and other sacrifices to God is a moral code of conduct - a code which God expects us to carry out in return for a life of freedom and glory.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.