In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1liga menor femenino(performance/organization) (before noun) de tercera categoría(performance/organization) (before noun) de cuarta categoría
- What's the good of looking over a bush league outfit?
- The peeling pastel-colored grandstand holds some 3,000 people, but the plant is less imposing than even a bush league track in the United States.
- I once played in a bush league in South Trinidad where good batsmen had to ensure that they were never hit on the pads.
- But in the 1930s and 1940s, it meant a ticket to the bush leagues.
- So I went beating around the bush leagues with a couple of NBA scouts whose jobs are, admittedly, depressing - they have to scout the high school ranks.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.