In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- One example is buddleia, or butterfly bush, a shrubby perennial that benefits from hard pruning.
- I like a lot of white, and I have a couple of small white oleanders and a white butterfly bush.
- The common butterfly bush is a summer treat.
- Both butterflies and gardeners love the butterfly bush.
- You may want to include the aptly-named butterfly bush.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.