In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1mantecosoa buttery taste — un sabor a manteca Río de la Plata
- Its rich, buttery nose also has hints of lemon and lime, with a rounded fruit quality and a long, rich finish.
- Their Butter Croissant is based on a light, buttery pastry of long French tradition.
- Tatars and Russians also subscribe to the same school of hospitality, centring around the samovar and large arrays of buttery pastries.
- A cobbler is not unlike a pie, but with a very thick layer - or individual blobs - of buttery sweet pastry on top of the fruit.
- Rich and buttery without being heavy, this fresh-tasting dish is good any time of year.
- They have a pale gold creamy colour, buttery flavour and fine-grained texture.
- The pecan tastes most strongly of the actual nut, and is a marvellously rich, buttery paste.
- The honeyed fila pastries and buttery nut cookies compose a separate late afternoon meal accompanied by thick Greek coffee.
- His version is a light assembly of intensely sweet, sun-blush tomatoes, chalky goat's cheese and fabulous olives, just suspended in short, buttery pastry of admirable crumbliness.
- Let's face it, buttery puff pastry either needs to be warm to entice me, or feather-light crisp.
- Rich and buttery scones are accompanied by fancy tiny tea sandwiches.
- I make little tarts with a nice buttery pastry whipped up in the food processor.
- Let me confess at this point to a fatal prior weakness for tarts made with proper, homemade, buttery pastry.
- We would stagger down from the Rue Oberkampf and collapse on the lawns of the Place des Vosges, letting the buttery pastry melt into our veins.
- Who can resist the flinty crispness of baked pecans, suspended in a maple-goo inside short, buttery pastry?
- Creamy Brie, buttery croissants, indulgent pastries are just part of the French paradox.
- Because cream, butter, cheese, fatty meat and buttery pastries stimulate the liver to manufacture LDL, keep your intake of saturated animal fats low.
- I knew it was a compliment about something that was buttery rich, deliciously opulent and lip-smacking cool.
- The light, buttery pastry would be perfect for a hot fruit filling.
- I mean this is already my favorite type of pastry - buttery, ‘short,’ fruity - and the rhubarb gave it a nice tartness.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.