In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
nombrePlural cacti, Plural cactuses
- Like the cactuses it resembles, an aloe plant requires little care and grows quickly.
- It searches among the yucca cactuses and Joshua trees for a lonely radar station atop a mountain peak.
- Scaling and barking injuries occur on stem surfaces of saguaro cacti.
- Aloe vera resembles a cactus, but is actually a perennial succulent which belongs to the lily family.
- It has several gnarled trees, cactuses, oleanders, a crazy arrangement of pot plants, various graveside paraphernalia such as urns and framed photographs, and a rickety set of narrow pathways.
- Tall palm trees and thick forests of cactuses give travellers the impression that they are staying in a tropical region.
- It looked somehow like the surface of a cactus, the peyote cactus.
- Second, the cactus and acacia trees may have dissimilar distributions of branch length.
- However, thorns on cactuses are a different thing.
- He finally got his cactus home, planted it in his backyard, and over time it grew to about two metres.
- It has been isolated from soils in desert areas, grassland or cultivated soils, cacti, onion, and garlic bulbs.
- Prickly pear cacti and large agave succulents, introduced from Mexico, grow everywhere in the north of the island.
- The man-made structures are concealed by imaginative landscaping that includes coconut palms, hibiscus, cactuses, hammocks, bougainvillea, gardens and lawns opening to beach and sea.
- We are rich with saguaros, prickly pear, and cholla cacti, and paloverde, and mesquite trees.
- Remember, for starters, that all cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are cacti.
- Orchid, African violet and cactus are just a few of the special mixes available.
- The northeast is much more barren - there are more cactuses than palm trees in this semidesert.
- The boyfriend bought a big cactus yesterday to add in with the banana plants etc.
- Good weather is also an essential pre-requisite for the growth of cacti and succulent plants.
- They resembled a cross between a cactus and an aloe vera plant; thick and fleshy, with hairs extruding from their tendrils.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.