In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- It will be important to leave enough quota for the spring time when cows start calving again.
- They're very easily kept, you don't need a shed for them and they calve easily.
- Sara said she probably wouldn't get back to Bolton to see her dad, Leonard, who has a farm in Little Lever, because his cows were calving but she hoped her mum, Jackie, would come and see her at the events.
- Not all cows calve by day, so cows have to be monitored for up to 200 nights per year.
- Cows that calve in hot summer months may experience a longer period from parturition to subsequent pregnancy.
- Unlike on most dairy farms, all the cows calve at the same time of year, and the cows are not milked in wintertime.
- It feels like a fresh start now that we have got cows calving again.
- But Mrs Appleby said she was not fazed by the work, including the first time she had to help a cow calve.
- Cow and calf producers typically choose to commence calving and breeding at times of the year when weather is least stressful and forage conditions are optimal.
- The single dose format also reduces risks associated with excessive handling of animals close to calving.
- Before calving, they return to Tuttle and the cycle begins again.
- If the legs move at each strain it is likely that the cow will calve without too much trouble.
- Summer calving in southern and southeastern herds is questionable because of the potential for reduced calf performance.
- Cows calved from February 15 to March 20 at the Eastern Colorado Research Center.
- Also, heifers that conceive earlier in their first breeding season calve earlier and wean heavier calves.
- This will allow farmers to shift animals from rented grazing land to pasture nearer home to supervise lambing or calving or turn out animals onto summer pasture from overcrowded steadings.
- We are not aware of similar data reported for cows calving during different seasons of the year.
- The cottage was to be built on the Kilkenny Road, but Miss Lennon complained that Mickey's father would be too far away from his work if anything happened, like a cow calving in the middle of the night.
- As well as the deaths, it also led to other problems including cows calving on board.
- Cows were removed from the hay paddock as they calved and were placed on their respective cool-season grass pastures.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.