In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Universalism, also a protest against Calvinism, arose outside the established church.
- How much of Calvinism must one accept to be truly a Calvinist?
- Critical to Calvinism was the doctrine of predestination, which regarded the salvation or damnation of each soul as preordained.
- What may seem paradoxical to some today is that theologically, Spurgeon tenaciously clung to traditional Calvinism.
- Biblical Calvinism has always included a system of living as well as a system of doctrine.
- This action eventually led to his theological shift from hyper-Calvinism to evangelical Calvinism.
- Here he came to change his religious views, rejecting Calvinism which had the notion of predestination as a metaphysical necessity and the basis of faith.
- However, Philip believed that if Calvinism was successfully tackled it would enhance his power and put the region very much under his power.
- Priestley would also have nothing of such compromises either with the established Church or with Calvinism.
- He is newly ordained in this large congregation, in which many have no idea of what Calvinism, or for that matter, Arminianism, are.
- The purpose of the book, therefore, is to examine Calvinism as a theological system and to compare it with traditional Baptist theology.
- Educators are noting that an increasing number of Baptist college students are embracing Calvinism.
- Not all Baptists embraced the modified Calvinism of Backus or accepted the conversion efforts of the Philadelphia Association.
- I do not think that this was precisely the Calvinism of John Calvin.
- Adherents prefer to say that authentic Calvinism is by nature evangelical.
- What is certain is that Calvinism will continue to be present in Southern Baptist life as long as Baptist collegians continue to find it appealing.
- Nevertheless, Calvinism, even during Calvin's lifetime, had become an international movement.
- Henry only saved his life by converting to Catholicism but when he escaped from Paris in 1576, he changed back to Calvinism and took over the lead of the Huguenots.
- Scotland was once the home of John Knox and his stern form of Calvinism.
- What was then called the Spanish Netherlands was being tugged between Spain and independence, between Catholicism and Calvinism.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.