In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Militarcombatiente femeninoan old campaigner — un veterano
2Política Sociologíadefensor masculinodefensora femeninoa campaigner for human rights — un defensor de los derechos humanos
- the candidate's skills as a campaigner — la habilidad del candidato para hacer una campaña
- Against that, he is a seasoned campaigner who has fought some tough electoral battles in the past.
- He was a lawyer and a trade union activist, a campaigner for human rights and democracy.
- Now the couple are leading campaigners in the battle to increase awareness.
- Now the campaigners will have to gear themselves up for a further battle when the developers appeal.
- Her convictions all seem to stem from her activities as a peace campaigner.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.