In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(room/restaurant) alumbrado con velasa candlelit dinner — una cena íntima a la luz de las velas
- Instead, they joined friends for a lovely candlelit dinner and an evening of laughter.
- Vermeer's paintings come to life in the dappled light of wintry landscapes and the dusty darkness of candlelit interiors.
- It's a grocery item, not the sort of thing waiters bring to candlelit dinner tables with a side of olive oil.
- A romantic, candlelit dinner for two is the perfect way to celebrate Valentine's Day.
- She had prepared a candlelit dinner and uncorked a bottle of imported champagne.
- Take her out for a candlelit dinner in a fancy restaurant.
- From a candlelit dinner for two to a trip to the local pantomime there is something for everyone.
- He lit two tall candle sticks close to the flowers for a candlelit dinner.
- On our last evening in Maui, Daniel had prepared a very romantic, candlelit dinner on the shore.
- Oh how I would love to be able to take her on a romantic walk in the park, or for a candlelit dinner.
- The group will be staging a symbolic candlelit vigil in support of all victims of human rights abuse worldwide.
- Designed for couples only, it offers eight restaurants and even a candlelit dinner for two.
- Instead of our usual candlelit dinner we were throwing a party for us and our friends.
- Visibly tired, the Pontiff retired early to rest and did not take part in the candlelit procession marking the first day of the visitations.
- Linger over a four-course dinner in a candlelit dining room overlooking the walled garden.
- Stepping through the revolving door and across the black and white tiles to our candlelit table in a discreet little alcove, I felt I could have been in Paris.
- A man and a woman laugh, watching each other's faces over a candlelit dinner.
- Mom says she likes the idea of having a candlelit dinner with her family.
- It will be difficult to tear yourself away from your suite, but a candlelit dinner at the Dasheene Restaurant is not to be missed.
- She revealed he had proposed to her on Christmas day over a candlelit dinner whilst they were on a holiday in Madagascar.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.