In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1enfermera voluntaria femenino
- And it's a job a motivated candy-striper could handle.
- He spotted a candy-striper coming out of one of the rooms, holding a stack of towels in one arm and trying to balance them while she reached behind her to close the door.
- He went in the same direction as the candy-striper and found her waiting for him around a turn in the hall.
- I'm a candy striper at a hospital once a week.
- I barely acknowledged smiles from orderlies, candy-stripers and nurses that recognized me.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.