In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- On Saturday, September 4, the carnival procession will leave from the Green at 6pm.
- There was a real party atmosphere in Melksham at the weekend as the town celebrated its annual carnival.
- The sun also came out as the procession of floats wound its way to the carnival field and then paraded through the town on Saturday.
- Dragons, banners, large flowers and other willow objects will be created in the workshops to use in the carnival procession.
- The festival will begin with a carnival parade setting off from Main Road.
- Festival fever will hit Durrow this August Bank Holiday weekend when the annual carnival takes place.
- Later in the afternoon the golden jubilee festival carnival and procession takes place in The Mall.
- More than 3000 men, women, children and dogs joined the carnival procession as it weaved through Edinburgh's city centre.
- The boxes will be used to collect cash for charities and organisations taking part in the carnival procession.
- Bromham was awash with colourful floats and costumes as residents celebrated in the carnival procession on Saturday.
- Devizes was alive with colour and music as the carnival procession wound its way through the town on Saturday.
- Each year the carnival procession parades through the centre of Calne starting from the Porte Marsh Industrial Estate.
- Unless there is more public support the annual carnival procession in Marlborough could disappear.
- The town of Binche is famous for its carnival festivities in the weeks before Lent.
- Youngsters dressed up and filled the streets of Guiseley for the annual carnival parade at the weekend.
- All eyes were on the sky over Pewsey on Saturday as rain poured down just hours before the annual carnival parade was due to start.
- The August bank holiday weekend will see Durrow host its annual carnival.
- The village will be busy with range of events, culminating with the carnival fête and procession on June 26.
- Threatening storms stayed away until the end of the carnival procession when those on the floats and spectators heading home were drenched.
- Thousands of visitors are expected to head for Devizes on Monday for the free carnival street festival
2EEUU(traveling fair)feria ambulante femenino
- In fact, the church has never been able to compete with the carnival or circus in delivering fun to the folks in the pew.
- He has had a varied employment history including factory work and a job travelling with a carnival.
- In the case of carnivals, world fairs, and freak shows, the promotion of human oddities relied on meticulously crafted public personas.
- At various times he has told us that he ran away from school to join a carnival, was descended from Sioux Indians, was an orphan and had been a hobo.
- As a result, Truzzi was intrigued by magic, juggling, sideshows, carnivals, and circuses.
- It was a different business then, more of a travelling carnival, and he didn't encourage his son.
- It conjures up old reveries of carnivals and roadside zoos, sideshows and state fairs - huge tents fetid with the sweet stench of anticipation.
- As an eager visitor to amusement parks, theme parks, carnivals, and state fairs of all magnitude, I was used to all manners of muzak being piped to all corners of the festival grounds.
- After all they have been used to host carnivals and circuses.
- Ever noticed the remarkable similarity between these fairs and traveling roadside carnivals.
- Zoos have been around for hundreds of years, the first ones being like freak shows attached to carnivals and circuses.
- In the back of the book was a section about the foods invented at fairs, circuses and carnivals.
- A true oddity, it's a film about some twisted racketeers involved with a travelling carnival.
- You know, there's one of those travelling carnivals coming to town this weekend, and he said he would take me.
- Mom's favorite brother, Uncle George, arrives in town with his traveling carnival.
- Diane Arbus traveled about, seeking out the inhabitants of carnivals, nudist camps, and mental hospitals and asking them to look straight into her camera.
- One young woman described spending several years traveling intermittently with various carnivals.
- Mark Svenvold has retraced McCurdy's life, death and eventful afterlife in a fascinating tale of the macabre under-belly of American sideshows and carnivals.
- He later returned to England, where in poverty he was forced to sell his tattooed face in a travelling carnival.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.