In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1realizar un bombardeo de saturación sobre
- The bombardment includes the use of fuel-air explosives, cluster bombs, bunker-busting bombs and carpet-bombing.
- This week marked the sixtieth anniversary of some of the most destructive episodes in the World War 2 carpet-bombing of Sofia and other Axis-allied capitals.
- In this day and age people are too intelligent to agree with carpet-bombing a few countries on a whim.
- Near the end of the war, planes started carpet-bombing all of the major Japanese cities, using incendiary bombs.
- After a brief and uneasy truce, the war was reprised in 1999 - carpet-bombing, then ground troops, then guerrilla war.
- Lieutenant General Fritz Bayerlein provides a vivid account of what it was like to endure carpet-bombing.
- It had been carpet-bombing Verona in February 1944 when it was intercepted by Messerschmitt fighters and hit several times.
- Once a graceful, Caucasus-foothills city of 1 million, it has been heavily shelled and carpet-bombed in two ferocious wars in the past eight years.
- Short of carpet-bombing the entire country and creating huge civilian casualties, weather conditions will prove inimical to a broadly based ‘search and destroy’ mission.
- It is blanket-bombing - carpet-bombing - they are planning.
- He charges, finally, that my endorsement of the strategy is a ‘throwback’ to World War II-style carpet-bombing.
- The results, for those who care to look at them, are simply astonishing, especially by contrast to the level of destruction and the harm to noncombatant lives and property found, say, in carpet-bombing.
- Not to mention that the only effective way to attack these targets would be through carpet-bombing with depth charges.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.