In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1camino de carros masculino
- Getting back to civilisation - after three hours a cart track would have filled that slot - was no mean feat.
- The terrain includes cart tracks, stone stiles, rough moorland and broken stone tracks.
- Yagodina, is at the end of the road - a very bumpy road, at times no better than a cart track.
- We had left the town of our arrival two days before, and all that afternoon had followed the cart track that wound its way around the hills.
- Don't be surprised if the bus makes a sudden detour off the road to take what could at best pass for a cart track.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.