In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The normal purpose of any cartel is to keep prices high by controlling supply and demand.
- In the absence of a minimum support price, trade cartels in the towns have continued to profit by continuously lowering the price paid to the Gujjars.
- As with the pure monopoly, companies would join a cartel in order to try to protect themselves from the harmful consequences of competition.
- In their attempts to stem cut-throat price competition, railway leaders repeatedly formed cartels to set prices and allocate traffic.
- International drug cartels constitute their own society in numerous ways.
- They organize a cartel for the purpose of raising the price for the product in question.
- Almost certainly bad news for its competition - drug cartels are notoriously touchy about people cutting into their business.
- He finds little evidence for effects of export cartels on export prices or volume.
- In the last 10 years, we have uncovered many cartels, many secret price fixing agreements.
- If natural gas producers form a cartel, they could drive world prices even higher
- ‘Leaving the fare cuts and increases to bus companies could result in price cartels led by the companies,’ he added.
- The swirl of rumour includes reports that hold the powerful and influential drug cartels responsible.
- US research shows that cartels raise the prices of the affected goods and services by 10 per cent on average.
- As cartel pricing crumbled, imports flooded in in large quantities for the first time.
- First, the influence of producer cartels on prices of primary products can be great, and yet not reflect scarcity changes.
- International drug cartels - made up largely of Mexican nationals - seem especially drawn to the bounty.
- One industry source claimed that price fixing and the operation of cartels was widespread in the business.
- At the end of the war, the Allies had forced the deconcentration of the coal and steel industries in Germany, and the break-up of the cartels that had restricted competition.
- Both groups are known to work with and protect the drug cartels.
- This policy of keeping inventories low will deny consumers a buffer against any production cutbacks that the cartel may make if prices weaken.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.