In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Mercator made many new maps and globes, but his greatest contribution to cartography must be the Mercator projection.
- Other disciplines have been brought to bear on the subject, including archaeology, cartography, and historical geography.
- As a Dominican he continued to study philosophy and theology but he became increasingly interested in the study of mathematics, astronomy, and cartography.
- As Harley points out, much of the scientific rhetoric of post-Enlightenment cartography was used to maintain systems of state and imperial domination.
- The history of mathematics had always interested Rey Pastor and late in his career his interests in historical topics extended to cartography.
- In the history of cartography the territory being mapped changed very little.
- Cosmographia provided a layman's introduction to such subjects as astronomy, geography, cartography, surveying, navigation and mathematical instruments.
- Thus it was, in a round about way, that I became, latterly, the first woman Keeper of Public Records, while remaining a practising historian of the history of cartography.
- It is a remarkable scientific document which contains his work on mathematics, music, astronomy, calendars, cartography, geology, optics and medicine.
- Unlike most explorers, these two leaders had no Aboriginal guides to help them, no skill in geography, cartography, or living off the land.
- These in turn led to advances in geography and cartography and the colonization of new lands.
- Bonnet also published on cartography, algebra, rational mechanics and mathematical physics.
- Regarding his importance for the history of cartography, he is compared to Ptolemy, the ancient scholar from Alexandria in Egypt.
- As well as mathematics, Ozanam was also interested in cartography and military engineering.
- Mercator had studied geography, cartography and mathematics at the University of Louvain in Belgium.
- The historian of cartography James Welu has shown all of these to be actual contemporary printed maps.
- So there is good reason to say that during the war, military geography and military cartography emerged as full-fledged sciences in their own right.
- First, he knew very little about either geography, astronomy, or cartography.
- In the historical development of cartography, when a new type or style of map appears on the scene, it is normally derived from earlier forms in some evolutionary process.
- Critical cartographers urge a profound revision of traditional cartography as taught in academic Geography.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.