In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(carved object)talla femeninoescultura femenino
- Nigerian folk art ranges from ivory carvings to body painting to wall decoration.
- Gilded statues and carvings adorn the walls and pilgrims come from far and wide.
- The walls are dark wood and carvings are etched carefully into posts set around the room.
- It was made of stone, and it had carvings of sea creatures carved into the front door.
- Wooden carvings of birds hang upside down from a set of wires stretched along the low ceiling.
- Rare paintings, frescoes and stone carvings present a marvellous panorama to the visitor.
- The carvings stem from the Byzantine period and apparently were made by monks in the fourth or fifth century.
- On the Southern gateway elaborate carvings showing the birth of Gautama Buddha took my breath away.
- Their exhibition features traditional and contemporary Pacific art and carvings.
- Scholars believe that these carvings were designed for export to Europe.
- The door was engraved with carvings of dead and live roses with long stems and sharp thorns.
- Aborigines originally used the gnarled trunks and roots of local camphor trees as a base for their carvings.
- It is a room dense with ornamentation, small sculptures and carvings.
- Master craftsmen built some Welsh churches, and these may well have been adorned with ornate wooden carvings.
- Every corner was adorned with precious wooden and granite carvings mounted on ornate pedestals.
- The gilded wooden carvings around the windows had turned brown, but now they gleam.
- They're best known for their rock art carvings most of which is Pictish and dates from the fourth century.
- Acquiring one for the exhibition was especially important as the carvings are masterpieces of the Palace Museum.
- Bulls are found in stone carvings as well as in the prehistoric cave paintings of the region.
- Various artists had also exhibited their paintings and miniature carvings.
2(carved work)tallado masculino
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.