In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(protective)(cover) cubierta femenino(case) caja femenino
- Space-age material used to make the cars' chassis, gearbox casings and bodywork.
- The duo have dispensed with plastic CD casings and fashioned their covers from stiff cardboard.
- Leaf mould containers usually consist of nothing more than a circular or square casing of chicken mesh supported by a wooden or metal frame.
- Rack mounted systems are much more interchangeable and the casing lasts forever.
- Electricity cables are normally covered in a protective casing which warns workers if they are about to hit a power pipe but these mains were not covered, the company said.
- Warmth and moisture creates the germination process causing the seeds to break their casings and stretch out of the soil.
- She gave him a smile before striding over to the door and lifting the weatherproof casing from the keypad.
- This time round, the screen is supported by a more robust casing, the company claims, capable of withstanding a fall of 1m.
- His silver factory produced shell casings and grenades.
- It was a beautiful mirror framed in an ornate casing made of solid gold swirled within silver.
- Several shell casings have been recovered as evidence from the scene but officers aren't saying what kind of guns were used.
- Among the clutter of computer screens, racks of original prints and an underwater camera casing are enlarged copies of the rare archive photographs taken of the sinking boats.
- The stomachs of sheep and pigs provide round casings for haggis and hog puddings, and for their equivalents in other countries.
- Bright orange casings protect the microphones from wind, which is one of the biggest problems for acoustic researchers.
2(lining)tubo de revestimiento masculinorevestimiento masculino
3(of window, door)marco masculino
- You should definitely caulk along the top of the baseboards, along the edge of the crown moulding were it meets the paneling, around all window and door casings and along corner moulding, if you have it.
- I got the patching up done and put some mastic on some of the door casings.
- Preparation includes removing baseboards and undercutting the casing of the door to make sure the new tiles will fit.
- Don't forget the tops of window and door casings.
- The cornice width should equal the full window casing width plus 1 inch (minimum).
- The burglars took the casing off an inner door to get into the church, smashed a 2ft square hole in an internal wall to crawl into the main worship area, where they damaged doors and stole speakers.
- We have a house built by my great-grandfather that has beautiful hardwood trim around the door frames and window casings.
- You won't have to worry about door and window casings and baseboards.
- Instead of traditional window casings, Dutton's windows and doors are framed with a 3/8-inch reveal that makes a subtle shadow line.
- Getting the house back to its original shape meant removing carpets, relaying floors, replacing joists, ceilings and lintels, injecting walls and replacing 70 window casings in all.
- New casings around the doors and lower windows, plus large pilasters between the French doors, help define and anchor the living room.
- Unless you are wrapping the framing around the window with drywall, both the jambs and the casings on the new window will need to be curved.
- The hall door is very fine, having outer casings and massive pillars supporting an ornamental canopy all of cut stone.
- If you are retrimming an existing door, pry off the existing casing carefully so you won't damage the wall or the doorjamb.
- In a compensation claim form, he detailed damage to the door, the lock and the casing and claimed compensation of £740.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.