In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(class)casta femeninobefore noun the caste system — el sistema de castas
- All three villages have a mixed population of Hindus of different castes.
- Even when Hindus were converted to Islam, Hindus of higher caste got relatively better treatment than Hindus of the lower castes.
- He was born into the Brahman caste which meant he was from the highest ranking caste of Hindu priests.
- Hindus of many castes and sects and from many parts of India have migrated, taking with them traditions that were familiar to them back home.
- Because if you are only born a Hindu, then obviously you are born into a caste.
- The children who benefit from the scheme are Hindus of all castes, as well as Muslims and Christians.
- Hindu religious theory justifies the division of society into castes, with the unavoidable differences in status and the differential access to power each one has.
- In case your Hinduism is a little rusty, the Brahmans are the priest caste in traditional Hindu society.
- Everybody attaches themselves to a group, a tribe, a caste.
- Almost half a century later their privileged lifestyle and their aura of being an exclusive caste still attracted comment.
- Members of the upper castes consider the lowest castes to be ritually unclean, therefore marrying someone from a different caste, whilst not officially outlawed, is generally not recognised.
- He cannot do anything about his time at Eton but he must make more connections outside a privileged caste of friends.
- While Varna describes the four castes, Ashrama discusses the four stages of life of a Hindu.
- It is the middle class which is intermingling with all sections and castes of the society, working together in offices, industries, business and government.
- Hindu castes also play a role in the rural economy.
- Traditionally there are four castes in the Hindu religion, the fifth section of society being the untouchables, so lowly they are considered outside the caste system.
- Those boarding the crowded bus constitute a cross section of Indian life - Muslims, Sikhs, Hindus, higher and lower castes, middle class and poor.
- A republican government does not comfortably coexist with a submerged caste within the population.
- The higher Hindu castes usually cremate their dead.
- Speakers said the Dalits suffer under the Hindu caste hierarchy and this move restores their self-respect.
- He insisted that the Soviet bureaucracy was not, as Trotsky had analyzed, a reactionary privileged caste, but rather a new ruling class.
- It is only on the level of the third, the Vaishya caste, that life is devoted primarily to the ideology of wealth.
- The lower status service castes are associated with hereditary crafts such as mat weaving, jewelry making, and clothes washing.
- This led him to insist that as long as the Dalits and other low castes remained within the Hindu fold, they would continue to suffer.
- Indian Christians are said to still discreetly follow pre-conversion castes of their Hindu forefathers.
2(system)sistema de castas masculino
- It was resolved to launch a national campaign for the abolition of both the caste system and dowry because together they tended to reinforce the system of caste endogamy.
- He added that the deeply entrenched caste system meant it was almost impossible for people of lower castes to assume any position of power.
- Historically, the society was divided along caste and color lines.
- The ideological framework of colonial Spanish America's caste system is familiar.
- In practice, the inherited distinction between rural and urban residents produces a deeply entrenched caste system.
- No human community ever existed in the past, nor does it exist now which does not have caste system in one form or the other.
- While Bhutan has no caste system, a pattern of discrimination against the minority Hindus of Nepalese origin exists.
- The more pressing question, in fact, seems to be not whether, but how certain interracial spaces managed to survive within the racial caste system.
- But there was precious little serious reporting on just what precisely is entailed in our economic caste system of haves and have-nots.
- Mauritanian society is strictly divided into a rigid caste system that flies in the face of the country's supposed march towards political liberalisation.
- The caste system was obliterated legally, with one stroke of the pen, the day free India was born.
- For instance, in the lower caste systems within India, is expected that children will perform manual labour to help repay family debt.
- The caste system reflects Indian historical occupation and religiously defined hierarchies.
- To do otherwise is to lock our society into a type of caste system.
- Most are from among the Untouchables in the now outlawed caste system, and regard it as their duty to pay off their parents' debts.
- In these cities and their suburbs, there is now a developed class system overlying and in many respects displacing the more traditional caste system.
- This caste system consists of three major parts within a colony.
- This is a strange kind of caste system and women find it very hard to break.
- The weak character of the empire came from the rigid caste system that divided people and created unstable feelings among them.
- For another, the hierarchical, non-democratic, caste systems of childhood have nothing in common with contemporary political credos.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.