In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- But clearly, there are human factors behind the extensive damage caused by catastrophic storms.
- Working together as a team, the three were able to quickly extinguish the fire and prevent further potentially catastrophic damage until fire trucks could respond to the aircraft.
- But sooner or later, a large object will threaten to hit the earth-moon system causing catastrophic damage.
- The catastrophic damage resulting from the 1906 earthquake proved to be the springboard for a century of advances in the understanding and science of earthquakes.
- The catastrophic plague losses of the Black Death helped fuel an obsession with the afterlife and to popularize chantries.
- The worst storm, a Category 5, has winds greater than 155 mph and can cause catastrophic damage.
- ‘It's capable of causing catastrophic damage but, of course, what we're really worried about is the loss of lives,’ he added.
- The damage, described as catastrophic, caused failure to all of the networks which make up telecommunication infrastructure on the island.
- Officials say the hurricane could cause catastrophic damage.
- His life takes a sudden twist when a strong earthquake and aftershocks cause catastrophic damage to the subway system, trapping a train and its handful of passengers in harm's way.
- Based on the recent evidence, we can estimate that the chances of an asteroid doing catastrophic damage in the next century are approximately one in 5000.
- For years scientists and engineers have warned that a major hurricane could inflict catastrophic damage on the city.
- It is a huge pandemic that's affecting the whole world and will, unless it's stemmed in some way or other, it's going to have catastrophic consequences for the economy of the world.
- The magnitude of the natural disaster that the Indian Ocean rim countries suffered from the catastrophic earthquake and tsunami is said to be the worst in living memory.
- The upper plate moves seaward, and a massive tsunami can be produced along with catastrophic destruction from earthquake shaking.
- Forecasters are warning that a hurricane making landfall at or near New York City could cause catastrophic damage in the U.S.'s largest urban center.
- By the early nineties, the damage was inescapable and catastrophic.
- Tonight those winds are picking up in the Mexican resort town of Cancun, which could suffer catastrophic damage from this powerful storm.
- The fact is that disasters come in a thousand different shapes and sizes, and they don't have to all be catastrophic to do significant damage.
- But in 1950 and 1966 it suffered two more catastrophic earthquakes.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.