In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- I thought the hardest part of my recovery would be the pain and the crutches; I wasn't prepared for catty remarks from other dancers.
- The book is an acquired taste, but on stage it revealed itself as an entertaining character comedy thanks to a set of brilliant performances led by Ward as a catty matriarch driven by self-interest.
- ABC couldn't resist a catty comment on its Web site.
- The book sporadically manages to be amusingly catty, but never, try as it may, moving.
- She was the fighter in our group; she could make a tough girl cry with her endless barrage of snotty remarks and catty comebacks.
- I was racking my mind for some kind of catty remark, but was coming up empty.
- Is this really what she dreamed of doing when she was in college: writing catty comments about the clothes and hairstyles of people who have actually accomplished things in their own lives?
- The climbing world can be a remarkably catty place, so it came as no surprise that not everyone was awed by the Russians' feat.
- Before Minerva could defend Kelly with a catty remark, Kelly cut her short.
- Let joy raise you above negative comments, catty remarks or outright persecution.
- An office would not be an office without gossip and catty remarks.
- They can make all the catty remarks they want and still not pass math.
- Certain catty colleagues liked to read these stories aloud.
- And as nerves fray and tempers rise you can be assured of a catty remark or backstage rumpus.
- We have many friends and acquaintances with different political values, but these two are the only ones who feel the need to ruin a perfectly nice evening with snide and catty comments about people whom they know we support.
- I didn't think these girls could be so catty.
- Girls engage in catty behavior and nasty comments, judging each other on appearance and material possessions.
- So when you post catty comments about your boss, it is the same as doing so in an interview.
- You never get catty comments like that from female customers.
- I even made a catty remark about her hairband back in 1992, for which I'm truly sorry.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.