In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- In the posterior precaudal and anterior caudal vertebrae rib shafts become hairlike structures.
- Each trochlear nerve makes its exit through the caudal tectum (the dorsal portion of the midbrain), immediately lateral to the frenulum of the superior medullary velum.
- The body of the seventh sometimes bears bilaterally, near its caudal border, a costal pit for the head of the first rib.
- The needle is inserted into the interscalene groove in a slightly medial, caudal, and posterior direction to avoid the vertebral column and vascular structures.
- A perpendicular is erected from the end plate of the most caudal vertebrae, whose inferior end plate tilts maximally to the concavity of the curve (inferior end vertebrae).
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.