In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Brinjal, tomato, chillies, gourds and cauliflower were among the vegetables that would be displayed.
- Vegetarians can enjoy such dishes as risotto with vegetables, zucchini with garlic sauce, breaded cauliflower and spinach purée with eggs.
- Accompanying our main dishes came a side-dish of vegetables; boiled new potatoes, roast potatoes, cauliflower, broccoli and carrots.
- The vegetables include creamed cauliflower, mashed potato, roast potato, carrots, peas, Brussels sprouts and cabbage.
- We had roast potatoes and cauliflower and then something like apple tart with custard for afters.
- We opted to start with two entrées with enough of each for the six of us to share - honey cauliflower because I insisted and onion bhaji because we all had a hankering for it.
- The usual accompaniments of Yorkshire puddings and carrots and cauliflower and potatoes were there too, all equally well-prepared.
- Shred the vegetables and put cauliflower, beans and carrots in a pot of water, add some salt, take them out after boiling.
- Masoor dal is delicious on its own, topped with fried onions and a dollop of yoghurt, or with cauliflower or peas.
- This reflected huge increases in the costs of a variety of fresh vegetables including broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce and squash.
- First on the menu for repair and strengthening are daily servings of eggs, soy, spinach, cauliflower, peanuts, iceberg lettuce and apples.
- It came with seasonal vegetables including cauliflower, carrots, new potatoes and sliced courgettes.
- Well, I will admit that a concoction made of potatoes, cauliflower, carrots, swede turnips, onions and oatmeal is not very appetizing.
- Don't get me wrong; in themselves, the vegetables - cauliflower in a cheese sauce, potato, broccoli, carrots and peas - were very tasty.
- Bring the water or stock to the boil, salt it well and cook the potato and cauliflower for 15 minutes.
- It is said to counteract flatulence and is often used in the cooking of pulses and other ‘windy’ vegetables such as cauliflower.
- The day we meet, she has already planned dinner that evening, and stocked up the vegetable drawers of her fridge with cauliflower, salad stuff and a couple of bulbs of fennel.
- It was the seasonal vegetables which disappointed; cauliflower florets, mange tout and carrots, all looking a little anaemic and with no discernible taste at all.
- How about snails in hot tomato sauce, or refried cauliflower with garlic cloves?
- Whether it's cauliflower or cranberries, eating more fruits and vegetables may play a role in preventing many forms of cancer.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.