In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Marina (hull/seams) calafatear(joints/cracks) enmasillar
- We suggest you also caulk around each hole to prevent water from creeping in and rotting the siding.
- Seal the finishing material well with tile grout, and caulk all the joints to prevent water damage.
- The joints should be caulked to prevent leaks, and the hangers should be secure to the fascia.
- Seal the cracks with caulking and then apply a good coat or two of paint.
- This must be carefully and completely caulked to seal it against energy loss.
- You should plug and caulk holes or penetrations for faucets, pipes, electric outlets, and wiring.
- ‘We had seen impressions of these vertical wooden planks in Roman concrete, and wondered if the cracks between planks had to be caulked to prevent concrete leakage,’ he said.
- Let's face it, if you want to get those energy bills down this winter, you may need to do more than just caulk and weather strip.
- The obscure gray water is dotted with fishing boats, which brush the calm surface, each caulked with a paste of alchemical silvers.
- If your home has a stucco exterior, caulk any cracks.
- At Brooker Creek Elementary School, plant operators were caulking the seams left when aluminum awnings over the doors were ripped away from several portable classrooms.
- Be sure there is a tightly caulked seal around the edge of the storm windows.
- I cleaned rooms, laundered bedding, caulked around storm windows, shoveled snow, and rented rooms to travelers and lovers.
- Even if you think the crack is too small, caulk it anyway.
- Check the roof vents and access hatch, and caulk any cracks where flashing meets the roof line.
- So they fastened boards on either side of the banister and caulked and painted to fill in.
- The seams were caulked with tow, which I procured from untwisted ropes.
- Weatherstrip and caulk around windows, and seal all cracks and crevices.
- Within two minutes of ordering appetizers, our party was inundated with marshmallow-size gnocchi and enough gooey risottos to caulk a ship.
- In the bathroom: Shower doors should be caulked and sealed properly to prevent leaking.
- By the beginning of December Challenger was newly rigged, freshly caulked and painted, and fitted with a new deck house for the comfort of the Scientifics.
- Walk around the outside of your home or apartment, and slowly examine the windows, doors, siding, water faucets and any other through-the-wall openings. Any such cracks or openings should be caulked and sealed.
- Then something banged against the inside wall where Dennis was caulking.
- Eventually, the museum will caulk and paint Surprise to make her seaworthy.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.