In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- "Sounds like water, " Thaniel replied as they entered a large cavern.
- I found myself alone, standing at the entrance to a yawning limestone cavern, dazzled by dawning sunlight.
- It boasts a cavern and a shaft for certified cave divers, although anyone is permitted to snorkel and free dive the site.
- One or two small tunnels also exist within the walls, leading perhaps to other caverns or cave complexes, or to nowhere at all.
- The far end of the cavern narrowed into another tunnel, and they ran for it.
- As you move further into the cave there's a smaller cavern off to the right where you can see graffiti that dates back to the 16th century.
- Yesterday these tunnels and caverns had seemed wonderful, but now the walls felt stifling and oppressive.
- Dominated by the spectacular natural arch called the Azure Window, its caves and caverns are among the most scenic dives I have encountered.
- We can't wait to go back and see one of the other four caverns, Blue John Cavern but we need to give the legs a rest first!
- I feel like I am shouting into a huge empty cavern.
- While caves and caverns are characteristic features of karst areas, not all karst areas have caves.
- Further down the cavern is the St. Joseph's Cave, where Joseph had a dream in which an angel warned him to flee to Egypt.
- Today, it is a hollow cavern offering a grim sanctuary for families displaced by their country's unending war.
- The cavern is a natural cave carved into the rock by the sea, and widened into an underground canal by human hands.
- Tunnels and caverns deep below the snowy-white building were the safest place for storing valuables.
- Our group spent a whirlwind two days diving the islands and experienced the full gamut of the caverns, caves and reefs that make up the Poor Knights experience.
- What drew these artists into sunless caverns and tunnels sometimes less than a metre high has been the subject of vigorous argument.
- Through the tunnels we went, until we entered a large cavern.
- The challenge was to abseil through a vertical fissure, with lights off, into a large underground cavern.
- We are guided on this dive by Morne, a veteran of the lake who seems to have an uncanny knowledge of where all the best caverns and hollows are located.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.