In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Marriage has many pains, says Johnson in Rasselas, but celibacy has no pleasures.
- During the ceremony they will commit themselves to celibacy, obedience to the church and to a life of prayer and service.
- The early Church saw a debate between the proponents of chastity and celibacy.
- This experience may in part have influenced her commitment to making celibacy a central pillar of Shaker religious practice.
- If you are struggling with celibacy like this, maybe active ministry isn't where you should be?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.