In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- This month sees the centenary of the events that began the 1905 Revolution.
- On February 7 a service was held at the Baptist chapel, to celebrate the centenary of its re-opening on February 4, 1904.
- Upwards of 500 people packed into the classrooms and halls of Killorglin Community College this week to celebrate the centenary of Technical Colleges in Kerry.
- Last year, the nation celebrated its Centenary of Federation while the Australian Army also celebrated the centenary of its formation.
- Red Shift's tour of The Third Man was launched as part of a nationwide programme of events marking the centenary of acclaimed author Graham Greene.
- The large airshow will commemorate the centenary of this event.
- On the centenary of that event I wrote one of my first newspaper articles.
- Sponsored by the Shanghai Women's Federation, the exhibition opened on February 4, the centenary of Deng's birthday, and will run until May 7.
- The exhibition marks the centenary of Bloomsday, June 16th 1904, the day on which James Joyce first walked out with Nora Barnacle.
- And it is to salute the centenary of this event that I am talking about William Osler at this particular moment.
- At the end of this month pupils will celebrate the centenary of the re-opening of the school.
- Their task is to decorate a life-sized cut-out of their local identity, as part of a national centenary of federation event called Peoplescape.
- The Holy Rosary Church is located in the heart of the village and this month celebrates its centenary.
- The coming year will bring its share of centenaries and anniversaries but few will be as significant as next Sunday's.
- Opened on August 20, 1904, by the Duke of Devonshire, the grade two listed building is hosting a number of events throughout the year to mark its centenary.
- This year we celebrate the centenary of a discovery without which you could well be dead.
- Later this month it will celebrate the centenary of the completion of this work.
- The club has an exhaustive list of planned events to mark the centenary, including a gala evening and dinner at Pittodrie, a rock concert at the stadium and official celebrations on the city's Union Street.
- Residents in Sabden are celebrating a special centenary today - the 100th anniversary of their small village achieving its ‘independence’.
- The club, who will be celebrating their centenary in six years' time, will continue with their junior section.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.