In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1she's a dead cert to win an award — seguro que se lleva un premio
- that's a cert — de eso no cabe la menor duda
- Another two evictions are due on Sunday, and I can tell you that while one candidate looks to be a dead cert for eviction, two others are neck-and-neck.
- Nevertheless, Mourinho still looks a dead cert for the top boss award since the panellists appear to have neither the imagination nor the inclination to look beyond the manager of the Premiership Champions.
- Despite injuries he is a near cert to travel and is likely to be given the troublesome left midfield role.
- But then again, Coca-Cola UK chief Penny Hughes was heavily tipped in some of the papers as a dead cert for the chairmanship of Channel Four.
- Tofting is a cert to go to the World Cup with Denmark while Frandsen is battling to go to the finals again after playing in France '98.
- Clover's running for Lord Mayor - which she may or may not win; but she's also running for Councillor on the new City of Sydney Council, which she'd have to be a dead cert to pick up.
- She's a dead cert to get in a second time.
- The little chap is also a dead cert for This Morning with Fern Britton and Phillip Schofield because, according to The Sun, his people discovered a rather radical diet regime.
- Michael Caine, who is up for best supporting actor for his role in The Cider House Rules, has been tipped as a dead cert in a poll of Oscar voters by The Wall Street Journal.
- There will always be a place for Frederic in the Waiheke Island rugby team, and he would be a dead cert for the Ponsonby Heroes.
- Martin Ferris's campaign is Sinn Féin's top priority but he isn't a dead cert because anything can happen in Kerry North.
- Arnie was already a dead cert to win the recall election in California, but getting Buffett on board is a stroke of genius.
- He was a cert for the Walker Cup and does not get selected.
- And don't think that Brown's a dead cert for PM in three or four years time.
- ‘I think Paula is a dead cert,’ says the 67-year-old former Commonwealth champion.
- Nicky Butt is a cast iron cert to go to the World Cup with England this summer.
- Egan wasn't going to let this cant stand, and got up in the Adjournment Debate to let off a few barrels at the hot and bothered Greens, who had thought that their John Kaye was a dead cert for the Senate.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.