- The son of a Yorkist retainer, he came into prominence at the beginning of the reign as chamberlain of the household.
- Always a charming courtier, Dudley had managed to obtain a sinecure as chamberlain to Grand Duchess Maria Maddalena, wife of Cosimo II.
- The knowledge he displayed of that court's personnel convinced Louis XVI's former chamberlain, two of his former private secretaries, and a former lady-in-waiting that Naundorff spoke the truth.
- In fact, a former chamberlain to the Crown Prince described the remarks as the equivalent to a declaration of war.
- They were represented by the great chamberlain to the emperor and his deputy.