1.1(temperament, nature)carácter masculinothe national character — el carácter nacional
- we have very different characters — tenemos caracteres muy distintos
- she's a good judge of character — es buena psicóloga
1.2good characterreputación femeninohe bears good character — tiene buena reputación
- to vouch for sb's (good) character — responder por algn
- he's been a victim of character assassination — han intentado destruir su reputación
1.3(strength of personality)carácter masculinopersonalidad femeninoa person of strong character — una persona de carácter fuerte
- he lacks character — no tiene carácter
- army life builds character — la vida militar imprime carácter
- And to put yourself under that kind of pressure, you need a certain strength of character, so I have respect for footballers.
- Friends yesterday spoke of his strength of character, which he had shown after a previous incident in which he was robbed by a young woman at his house.
- Their courage and strength of character is an inspiration to the rest of us.
- He showed incredible strength of character under the most extreme circumstances.
- Many apparently well-balanced people have no strength of character.
- But only a month later, she was miraculously let out of hospital, a feat which doctors put down to her strength of character and will to recover.
- Both were teenagers on the other side of the globe from their families, yet both had the strength of character to survive and flourish.
- People are going to be amazed at her strength of character and her intellect.
- I liked the way he maintained my gaze; he certainly has strength of character.
- The lady has a presence about her - optimism and strength of character - that shines through her eyes.
- Jonathan was a man of great courage and strength of character; he was a fighter.
- As a value, they saw strength of character as far more important than success.
- He possessed an excellent character, charming manners and was highly cultured.
- He had high standards, true character and integrity; he would not tolerate a lie.
- Let's pray my husband has the same courage and strength of character.
- The disease has now spread to her lungs, and she is in more pain, but her remarkable strength of character still shines through.
- The man has no strength of character and is so oblivious to his own weakness that he doesn't even register how weak he sounds.
- Her strength of character helped her overcome all her problems and she showed an amazing amount of courage.
- She was a bright, bubbly individual, full of character.
- She said Clive was always very determined and had great strength of character.
2(of place, thing)carácter masculinothe restaurant has lots of character — el restaurante tiene mucho carácter
- the house has no character — la casa no tiene carácter / estilo
- the characters of the two cities are very different — el carácter de las dos ciudades es muy distinto
- her face is full of character — tiene una cara con mucha personalidad
- the demonstration soon took on the character of a riot — la manifestación no tardó en tomar un cariz violento
- Hopefully your personality will fit well with the character and nature of your team.
- Residents were notified of the scheme late last week and claim it will completely change the character of the area.
- In future, house builders will have to work much more closely with planners to make sure anything they construct will fit in with the character of the area.
- It seems that identity is the crucial point of nicknames as it gives clubs an individual character which words such as Wanderers, United and City do not.
- Less problematic is the multidisciplinary character of Peoples of a Spacious Land.
- But a spokesman for the authority said officers believed the revised scheme would not compromise the character of any extended area.
- The development will be in keeping with the character of this conservation area.
- They cared very much about the character of individual varieties.
- But with their multitude of uses they were what gave the area its character.
- Officers, however, are recommending the scheme because it is considered to have a minimal impact on the rural character of the area.
- The association works to preserve the rural character of the area east of the Sammamish Valley.
- The Borries and Allisons are helping to preserve the unique character and flavour of individual apples from the region.
- The sandstone is widely used in buildings and walls in the area, giving it a distinctive character.
- Specific yeasts for the style of beers being brewed are used, thus producing brews with their own individual characters.
- The area had its own character, and you could smell the atmosphere of old Milano, the Milano of Giuseppe Verdi.
- Under the legislation, a local authority may include plans to preserve the character of the areas to ensure their preservation.
- The developers argue that this, along with more variety in the roofline, will lesson its impact on and respect the character of the surrounding area.
- However, any development must be sensitive to the character of the surrounding area and not lead to excessive parking or traffic pressures.
- Some villagers also claim that a temporary classroom in such a prominent location would destroy the character of the area.
- Obviously the court must recognise and pay regard to the character and nature of the business in question.
3.1(in novel, play, movie)personaje masculinocarácter masculino México Colombiahe doesn't react in character — su reacción no es la que cabría esperar de su personaje
3.2(person)tipo masculino coloquialhe's an odd/a nasty character — es un tipo raro/un mal tipo coloquial
- Nick is convinced that his story is true, despite earlier doubts and perceptions of Jay as a rather shady character.
- He's a fairly aggressive and tenacious character in business terms.
- He's a slippery character whose public statements remind you of a fellow Rhodes scholar from Arkansas.
- Given his reputation as a carefree character, it is no surprise that he balked at living under the constant scrutiny of Sir Clive's microscope.
- He walked into the debriefing room and was greeted by General Li, a suspicious and shady character.
- A variety of questionable characters order drinks, which you must concoct.
- Pietersen thinks he has matured as a person since those bad times at Notts earned him a reputation as an abrasive character.
- Galen is a larger-than-life kind of character, due to his immense knowledge and power.
- All around him were shadowy characters with unusual names, each appearing unimposing yet extremely confident and strong.
- Bob was a shady seeming character who hung out around the docks rather a lot.
- I'm sure someone in the office will be more than willing to give me a record on this shady character.
3.3(eccentric person)caso masculinoJane's a real character — Jane es (todo) un caso
4(symbol)carácter masculinoChinese/Roman characters — caracteres chinos/romanos
- He wrote five characters on each fan which made the woman angry because she thought all the fans had been ruined.
- The characters were written sloppily and some of the words were not written properly, so they had to stare at it for some time because they could not figure what was on it.
- Before, you had to look for those services to find them, because they were written in small characters.
- The players' names on their jerseys are written in English characters.
- They left behind a large hand-made thank you written in black Chinese characters on a red background.
- Different kinds of writing brushes can be used to write characters in different styles.
- Plus I had resourcefully thought to ask her to write the Japanese characters out for us.
- But Chinese characters represent the different meanings of these words, rather than the sounds, which are the same.
- The camera closes in on a book printed in Chinese characters held open under a moving scanning beam.
- I have Kurdish friends and they usually write with Latin characters.
- The latest version of Microsoft's tablet PC software is capable of recognising even ill-formed characters written on the screen using the pen.
- But she is still struggling with writing Chinese characters.
- Chinese does not have an alphabet, but characters representing words, formed from stokes symbolising syllables.
- For a premium, they will also be placed on top of the list and printed in bold red characters for prominence.
- She had Chinese characters written all over the large white tunic wrapped around her body.
- Their language, Vlach, is a member of the Romance family of languages and written in Latin characters.
- In Chinese the symbol for danger also represents the character for opportunity.
- When she first studied Chinese, she could only memorize how to read and write the characters.
- The abolition of the use of Chinese characters from all public printing and writing helped achieve nationwide literacy at a remarkable speed.
- You need to have your destination written out in Chinese characters for cab operators.