In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1escuela de beneficencia femenino
- About 60 children are educated in a charity school, and about 200 in private schools.
- The boy says he went to a Church charity school before the war and that he can mediate for us.
- Before the 1800s, there were grammar schools, frequently of pre-Reformation origin, independent or ‘adventure’ schools, and charity schools.
- But it was my pupils at the charity school who won my heart with their endless warmth and affection.
- The girls retire to the garden, where Jane finally sees the sign that says she is at Lowood Institution, a charity school for orphans.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.