In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(jingoist)chovinistapatriotero masculinopatriotera femenino
- That makes those people precisely what, on the hustings, they have criticised men up and down this country as being: it makes them chauvinists, it makes them sexist, and it makes them discriminatory.
- Secondly, even the most extreme leftists tend to start from the position of equality between persons, whereas extreme rightists are typically chauvinists.
- In Bulgaria I become a Polish chauvinist, in Poland I am an incredible Bulgarian patriot.
- All of them are pushing through neo-liberal policies domestically, while the country is ruled by extreme right wing chauvinists.
- It must be channelled into the fight for an alternative perspective, which will cut a path through the reactionary political fog created by the capitalist parties, the ‘left’ opportunists and chauvinists.
- Only in 1920 after Moscow cleared Russian chauvinists out of leadership of the Ukrainian Communist Party did the new Soviet administration seriously address aspirations for self-determination.
- But frankly that argument echoed the calls of right-wing national chauvinists who urge people to take their holidays in Britain to support the domestic tourist industry.
- The chauvinists were enraged, but it seemed a pretty straightforward description of where they learnt and played the bulk of their cricket.
- He may have to deal with a realignment of his own, especially if his party's move to formally dump its pro-independence platform upsets the minority of diehard chauvinists.
- They are therefore carried away with the false propaganda spread by the chauvinists with the help of the electronic media.
- He predicted that despite the protests of the chauvinists, the demand for English would increase.
- No, despite what the chauvinists on both sides like to believe, we aren't all that different at all, and it is not in that ‘moral difference’ that makes us what we are.
- To believe this, you need to be not just a patriot but a chauvinist.
- Can the cultural chauvinist be separated from the imperialist?
- All this says a lot about political consciousness and the willingness of governments to put in money in ventures which chauvinists would call ‘alien’ concerns.
- He presented himself not as a Pole, but a Lithuanian, which enraged chauvinists.
- By acting in this irresponsible manner they have not only provided a grist to the mill of the communalists and regional chauvinists but have also damaged the credibility of the coalition ministry.
- Well I was, as a kid, a terrible chauvinist, militarist and warmonger.
2also male chauvinist(sexist)machista masculino
- And they're just scotch-drinking, cigarette-smoking chauvinists who have to deal with this very capable female journalist, and they don't know what to do.
- This fusion of political correctness and relevance may be the next big thing to rock mathematics education, appealing as it does to political activists and to ethnic chauvinists.
- They do not have equal rights as women, and yet they are responsible for making sure that nothing changes by raising their sons as chauvinists.
- They have pointed out that there have also been attempts by school officials to censor views deemed excessively chauvinist or racist.
- The is the very same way women are belittled by chauvinists (male and female) throughout history.
- Out of a thousand tiny details, you amass a picture of the complexity and strangeness of life: and neither quality diminishes greatly as you look further and further into the past, which human chauvinists may find surprising.
- I am not, and never have been, a male chauvinist.
- And is it possible to be romantic without being a chauvinist?
- The other day, he was virtually given a ‘dressing down’ by an irate woman delegate who demanded to know whether he was a male chauvinist.
- Wolfe and Thompson were of the same journalistic generation, and we are all chauvinists for our era.
- Churches with thousands of members that de-emphasize studies of scripture while pushing communal solidarity run a serious risk of creating large populations of uninformed and fanatical chauvinists.
- You would be forgiven for thinking that such sentiments had been mouthed by a male chauvinist in the 19th century, or that they are perhaps a parody of our ancestors' unenlightened mindset.
- I couldn't see Lizzy or Andrew but Henry was lying still and clutching his left leg, but being the chauvinist, sexist, pig he is, he didn't make a single sound.
- We have no doubt that if women put their heads together, they can overcome the barriers mounted by male chauvinists.
- Male chauvinists, if anything, should be the ones supporting such government folly - not aspiring feminists!
- In modern speak, he was a chauvinist who wanted his wife at home and subservient.
- ‘Certainly,’ says Crystal, who disagrees on this aspect with Queen's-English chauvinists.
2(jingoistic, sexist)machista(male) chauvinist pig — machista asqueroso masculino coloquial
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.