In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1ajedrez masculino(player/game) de ajedrezchess clock — cronómetro de ajedrez masculino
- chess tournament — torneo de ajedrez
- The origins of chess have been much discussed but remain obscure, since it developed over time.
- Between rounds, he breathes evenly, as though he has spent the past three minutes playing chess.
- You are good at strategy and probably enjoy games requiring mental skill, such as bridge and chess.
- He loves to play chess, often bringing his board with him on the bus, or staying up all night playing Eduardo.
- Imagine that you are sitting on a park bench playing chess with someone you don't know.
- I always considered the ultimate embarrassment in chess to be when you lose your queen to a pawn.
- In chess, however, it is almost always a great advantage to be next to move.
- All I got from my father was the ability to play chess and think several moves ahead at all times.
- His childhood pastimes were playing chess, reading music, and playing the guitar.
- I love to try to bring chess to larger audiences, and show that it's a fun game.
- I'm having a coffee and tackling a game of chess with my younger brother, Ronan.
- Both were child prodigies in chess, quickly rising to their respective nations' top slots.
- The newspaper is particularly useful for those players who want to make progress in chess.
- It is not very clear what impact the match and its result will have on chess.
- His other interests outside mathematics included tennis, golf, chess and bridge.
- I'd seen him play people as if there were mere pawns in a cosmic game of chess.
- The first rule of chess is that the board is to be positioned so that a white square is in the right-hand corner.
- It will include wooden panelling and furniture, balance beam and games such as draughts and chess.
- This would be more fun if I had the faintest idea how to play chess with any strategy.
- This gives it a unique character, more akin to a board game such as chess than to a normal card game.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.