In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Since the mid-1980s, other fiction by Chicanas similarly reveals a strong female character who creates her own path, with words, subjectivity, and images.
- More specifically, the male dominated Chicano movement of the 1960s and 1970s brought many Chicanas to push for Chicana feminism.
- This study describes the attitudes of a middle-class Mexican family toward the Spanish of a Chicana bilingual teacher from Yuma, Arizona.
- He points at yet other borderlands, those between the margins and the mainstream, and hints at the adjustments Chicanos and Chicanas are having to make in order to cater to market demands.
- My harshest critics have been Chicanas, and Chicanos; but they have also been my strongest supporters.
- Although the title boasts of focusing in on Chicano / Latino queer issues many of the essays are by Chicanas and/or about specifically Latina lesbian concerns.
- Few Anglo women had their first child under age 18, compared to Mexican immigrants and U.S.-born Chicanas (women of Mexican descent).
- And the Chicanas are students who want to take on the work that some of the Chicana writers and myself are doing - these are our future writers, our future teachers, our future theorists, our future artists, and I work with them.
- When these women protested their sterilization abuse, however, it was not the first time Chicanas had argued for their right to survive and thrive.
- Frances presently serves on the board of the Chicana / Latina Foundation of Northern California and the Harvard Journal of Hispanic Policy.
- As my analysis of Hernández's essay suggests, even though the Chicanas involved in the Madrigal case did not win in court, their experiences served multiple purposes outside the courtroom.
- A third brief came from 22 members of the British Parliament, and a fourth was offered by the Chicana / Chicano Studies Foundation in California.
- A group of teenage Chicanas sing a hymn with the flourishes of the gospel tradition, to the ecstatic applause of the congregation.
- He renames their collective claims as conspiratorial; discounts their experience as evidence; and holds their language and culture against them as a justified and relevant reason why these Chicanas were sterilized.
- Many of the students who end up in these CCC classes are Native American, Chicana / Chicano, or multiracial.
- The number of Mexican American women in the armed services is significantly lower; 5,025 native-born Chicanas are active members of the military.
- In particular, the contributors explore the participation of writers and intellectuals on the Left in the development of African American, Chicano / Chicana, and Asian American literature and culture.
- I am possessed by a vision: that we Chicanas and Chicanos have taken back or uncovered our true faces, our dignity and self-respect.
- This is the essence of the hold that Chicano patriarchal power has on many Chicanas.
- First, she retells the Madrigal women's testimony to inform her audience of the systematic sterilization abuse happening not just to Chicanas but to thousands of poor and minority women all over the country.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.