In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He placed education for Mexican-American youth as his top priority, but he believed that Chicanos had to know about other minority cultures as well.
- Until the late 1970s, Los Angeles's Pico-Union district was populated by Mexican immigrants, Chicanos, African Americans, and European Americans.
- Monolingual English-speaking Chicanos took courses to learn Spanish.
- One of the key elements of the foundation of the Chicano movement has been the use of Spanish to resist cultural domination.
- The teachers were not of Mexican descent, yet they strove to bring Mexican and Chicano cultures into the classroom.
- These struggles helped to shape a distinct Chicano and Latino punk scene.
- It is well-known that the first work did not endear him to the Chicano and Chicana intelligentsia.
- They like having an African-American executive to send to Nigeria, or a Chicano to handle their Mexican accounts.
- Based on shared experiences as second-class citizens, Chicanos and Arab immigrants are building an alliance in Los Angeles.
- The result, as was common with other ethnic groups, was a fusion of beliefs and traditions evolving into the Chicano culture.
- The Chicano family is inseparable from the American contexts that contain it.
- My harshest critics have been Chicanas, and Chicanos; but they have also been my strongest supporters.
- The final straw came when he went to do a cover on Chicanos in Uvalde, Texas.
- This concern was especially true in their dealings with Chicanos who would taunt and tease them in English and Spanish.
- Though there were tensions between these two communities at times, there was also overlap, cultural exchange, and camaraderie between blacks and Chicanos.
- These might include Chicanos, Cajuns, Amish and Puerto Ricans.
- Many Chicanos today live in the Midwest and the East.
- There was universal agreement that art by Chicano artists was helping to write the Chicano experience into American history.
- Fiction of cultural resistance includes an inner discourse of resistance to patriarchal traditions in the Chicano culture.
- Since then, Chicano art has grown more varied as the Chicano population has assimilated further into American society.
Estadounidense de origen mexicano. En un principio el término se usaba como insulto, pero en la actualidad ha dejado de serlo e incluso los propios mexicoamericanos lo prefieren.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.