In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Zoologíapollo masculino→ roost
2Cocina pollo masculinofemenino gallinabefore noun chicken liver — hígado de pollo masculino
- My husband and I don't eat red meat or chicken; my parents, who do, call us ‘vegetarians.’
- The preferred meat is mutton, but chicken, beef, and camel also are consumed.
- The main types of meat are pork, chicken, and mutton.
- Everyone has seen at least a few gallinaceous birds, since domesticated chicken and turkeys are in this category.
- This brief summary demonstrates the level of understanding that has been gained in studying the scutate scales of the chicken.
- We walked very quietly around the yard to try and find the chickens and roosters who were hiding in one of the stables.
- This includes all previously allowed items plus red meat, chicken, and well-cooked vegetables.
- As birds go, the domestic chicken is hardly built for high-performance flight.
- These people tended to avoid red meat but ate chicken and fish.
- Believe me, the beef, pork, chicken and other meats are very expensive.
- She lived on the top floor while all her hens and chickens clucked happily on the ground level.
- The main course was a pristine roast chicken with herbs and bacon and mashed potatoes along with mixed vegetables.
- The meats consisted of soft shelled crab covered in spices, tender roast beef and chicken.
- Concentrate on eating vegetables, fruits and whole grains, and choose chicken rather than red meat.
- Smoke rose from the center, where open fires roasted chicken and other meats.
- This mighty bird, the chicken of chickens, is brilliantly colored with feathers of red, green, brown, black, and gold.
- Domesticated animals such as chickens and pigs were raised in the same area.
- The male chickens have dark yellow feet whereas the female chickens have light yellow feet.
- Some braised beef or roast chicken, for example, would be a welcome addition.
- The disappearance of chickens in many farmyards and back gardens must have reduced the availability of food.
- As per traditional Indian thinking, seeing a brood of chickens along with a hen is a bad omen.
- The decline was more pronounced among women who ate a high percentage of non-dairy animal protein, such as red meat, chicken, turkey and pork.
- Roast beef, chicken, seafood, steak, and savory stews were among the typical fare.
- We had a delicious meal of steak, roast chicken, mashed potatoes and salad.
- Most of us think we're familiar with the sounds of the domestic chicken, but not all fowl calls are created equal.
- The sauce also goes well with leftover roast, chicken, turkey or ham.
- When it comes to making a sacrificial gift to the gods, they prefer to slaughter a male chicken.
- Just as it sounds, a fertile egg has been fertilized by a male chicken and could potentially become a chick.
- This tells us that she won't eat red meat, chicken, pork, fish or seafood.
- Each of the three compartments contained either a chicken, a rooster or an egg.
- When I am given a choice of meats, I choose white meat such as chicken or fish over steak.
- Three younger girls chase a chicken around in circles.
- However, the animals sacrificed in these rites have been chickens and hens.
- The Portuguese introduced the domestic pig, chickens, olives, and salt cod as well as coffee and tea.
- They were also asked to decrease intake of red meat, substituting chicken, fish, and skim milk as protein sources.
- For example, chickens and turkeys can escape most of the harms just described.
- I understand, and have seen at first hand on several occasions what a fox can do to a flock of chickens, or other domestic fowl.
- The sauce is good served with roast chicken, steak or grilled fish.
- He tried his medicine on young chickens which were given the concoction twice a week.
- Corn, rice, and peas are eaten with meats such as chicken, fish, pork, and beef.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.