In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1jefe de policía masculinojefa de policía femenino
- The list of delegates included council chief executives, health officials, police chief constables and minority group leaders.
- Yesterday, the chief constable and the police authority issued a joint statement in a fresh bid to quell the outcry.
- Meanwhile, the chief constable's vision for community policing across the county was given a warm welcome by forum members.
- The local police authority battled to keep the chief constable in office until the last possible moment.
- The service was supported by all police staff associations in the UK with chief constables and police authority members in attendance.
- Ministers also announced that foreign policemen would be able to become chief constables for the first time.
- It must hold the chief constable and police service publicly to account.
- A chief constable would sack a police officer for breaking the law.
- A spokeswoman for Humberside police said the chief constable was in his office today in full uniform.
- Residence is therefore a matter which goes to the jurisdiction of a particular chief constable in the exercise of his statutory powers.
- Senior councillors, residents and police officers have welcomed the chief constable's statement.
- I would love there to be more traffic police, but chief constables have to work within their budgets.
- The responsibility for taking executive action on the intelligence remained with the Special Branch and the chief constables under the authority of the home secretary.
- So he proposes to devolve most policing issues to newly elected local police authorities, with the independence of chief constables enshrined in statute.
- Scottish chief constables could take the initiative in their regions and could do that if they wanted to.
- And if chief constables are given greater flexibility, we may well see police staff numbers grow at the expense of police officer numbers.
- Copies of the study are now in the hands of all chief constables in Scotland, the Police College and the Scottish Police Federation.
- A police magazine has been recalled after the chief constable said a cartoon on the front was offensive.
- Damages are paid out of the police fund, not by the chief constable personally.
- Neighbors soon learned that reporting policemen to their chief constables for unseemly conduct was an effective way to force police families to change their behavior or move.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.