In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Okay, it was less of a big dog than it was a toy chihuahua.
- No chihuahuas were hurt in the making of this story
- If I sing in a high pitched voice, my chihuahua will howl along.
- A chihuahua out for a walk in the park suffered scratches and a talon puncture when it was attacked by a hawk trained in a New York City program to scare off pigeons and rodents.
- Which one do you want, the spaniel with the crown or the bug-eyed chihuahua?
- Our little chihuahua, Prissy, certainly was a big part of our family.
- Another Doberman, two beagles, a chihuahua, a Finnish spitz, a Westie and a retriever will also be travelling up with their owners to the competition on March 6 to 9.
- Short of presenting him with a high-maintenance pet, such as a pony or a pair of chihuahuas, the presenters could hardly have burdened the man more heavily.
- The bat they studied was the gray-headed flying fox, about the size of a small chihuahua and sporting a nearly four-foot wingspan.
- In New Zealand many pedigree chihuahuas, Jack Russell terriers, and all sorts of other dogs, little and big, are already microchipped.
- Domestic dogs vary in size from diminutive, 1.5 kg chihuahuas to 90 kg giant mastiffs.
- She quickly leashed the yellow Lab and the Pomeranian cross and picked up the chihuahua.
- A chihuahua with huge eyes whistles at the audience.
- Back in France, he bought a villa in Marnes-la-Coquette, a suburban village, where he grew fond of tending to the grounds, reading and playing with his chihuahua.
- I never saw a single woman actually walking her chihuahua, they were all just carrying them in their Prada handbags.
- Three dog thieves in California thought they had got away with a litter of vicious pit bulls from an animal shelter - but ended up with chihuahuas instead.
- Also, if the chihuahua is still a puppy, she may not yet have the enzymes to digest the aspirin (if given in too large a dose, it can cause stomach problems).
- She brought her favorite credit cards, and her little doggy, Sweetie, which was a tan-colored chihuahua.
- The dogs included shih-tzus, dachshunds, lhasa apsos, bearded collies, corgis, chihuahuas, poodles, pekinese and Yorkshire terriers.
- Yes, well, that is to say, there appears to be a chihuahua in my office.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.