In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1femenino caballerosidadfemenino cortesíaHistoria caballería femeninothe age of chivalry — los tiempos de la caballería andante
- (the age of) chivalry is not dead — aún quedan caballeros
- Saladin, as in most of the medieval chronicles, represents chivalry.
- With the absence of humility, yet his important role in society and his ideals of chivalry, Beowulf was the definition of a hero in his own time.
- All the courageous deeds and tales of chivalry that they had so eagerly talked about were so far away now, like a faint memory just out of reach.
- He was adored by his men, not least for his courage, chivalry and handsome appearance.
- For a moment, I felt like I had been transported back in time, into a medieval world of chivalry and magic.
- Only the nobility participated in warfare, using the symbol of medieval chivalry, the chariot.
- Who does not remember the eccentric hero who chose to live in the medieval world of chivalry and thought of himself as a knight in shining armour?
- The article stressed the explicit Catholicity of Christian chivalry, comparing the ideals that bound knights to service with the characteristic vows of Catholic monastic life.
- She was impressed by his attention to the codes of chivalry.
- It speaks of jousts, tournaments, wizards, falconry, enchantresses, damsels in distress, wars, quests, and the code of chivalry.
- Many such characters desperately need a ‘code’ to live by, like the social code of chivalry for Don Quixote.
- Loyalty, honesty, frankness, gratitude, chivalry, magnanimity - these are the hallmarks of the good friend, the good husband and father, the nice guy we all hope our daughters will marry.
- This is reinforced by the final exchange between Gawain and the Green Knight where the poet shows the way he feels feudalism should work - by banishing courtly love and women from the code of chivalry.
- A code of behavior, chivalry, evolved from these feudal contests of skill.
- This is the man whom folklorists and historians - by unimaginable mental and moral gymnastics - have endowed with qualities of quixotic chivalry, and set up as a national hero.
- The code of chivalry that embodied the knightly ideals - honor, generosity and courtesy - became the code of honor of the gentleman, and the foundation of fencing etiquette.
- During the Middle Ages, chivalry was a code of brave and courteous conduct for knights.
- However, Woo does not celebrate this violence, but rather uses it to represent a nostalgia for a lost code of honor and chivalry that he sees as necessary for human survival.
- The scale rewards honor, chivalry and courage, but also deducts for blatant foolishness and sheer idiocy.
- Like many before and since, Chandler saw the detective as embodying the medieval conception of chivalry.
- A court dealing with his appeal over an earlier confrontation heard that from a young age he had been regaled with stories of daring deeds, courage and chivalry in the SAS, told by his father, Tony.
- There were the Knights of the Round Table, vowed to the highest ideals of chivalry, and the greatest of them, Sir Lancelot, who, of course, has a tragic love affair with the Queen.
- Louis IX of France, canonized after his death, was in his lifetime a model of chivalry, justice, and piety for western Christendom, at once a rival and an exemplar to the English king.
- More resonantly, Joan, due to her chastity, courage, chivalry, piety and intelligence, personified an exceptional female figurehead.
- Orders of chivalry had their origins in the religious orders of the Medieval Church, and in particular those created in the Holy Land during the crusades.
- The full flowering of the ideals of knighthood and chivalry is found in poetry in the high Middle Ages.
- Joan united ‘to her maidenly virtues the martial courage and ardor of the noblest knights of chivalry,’ the author argued.
- Manuals of chivalry exhorted the ideal man of arms to be temperate to preserve the fighting edge.
- The war was fought with heavy loss of life and notable courage and chivalry on both sides.
- It was the idea of chivalry and courage that appealed.
- However, Brooks' point is that ambition crowds out other cultivated qualities, such as chivalry.
- What is the big idea behind chivalry or expecting a man to do things that might seem unnatural to him?
- The fact that you were a woman did not absolve you from keeping to the ideals of chivalry, in times of crisis and in your ordinary life.
- He was also encouraged to display the virtues of chivalry, a code of conduct created by the clergy to curb the brutality of this order of knights.
- I figure that chivalry, honour, friendship and, of course, romance are all part of film noir as is the inner darkness of the central character - usually - and certainly the villains.
- Later medieval chivalry has been criticized for being decadent and other-worldly, yet it never lost touch with the changing military dimensions of war nor was blind to its bloody realities.
- In that imaginary reality what drives people to act in one way or another is ideas of honour, chivalry, nobility and heroism.
- They will consider different interpretations of the famous clash of August 22nd, 1485, within the broader context of medieval warfare and chivalry.
- The festival of music, dance, martial arts and medieval chivalry will showcase a variety of costumes, colour and culture.
- It was at this court, and at her daughter Marie's in Champagne, that the codes of chivalry and of courtly love were established, in close contact with the great ladies.
- Once again, chivalry and morals, my friends, will take you places.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.