In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(hatchet)feminine hacha pequeña
- Quality underpinners, choppers and saws are available secondhand at reasonable prices for framers who do their homework.
- The word is also often applied to a fire engine, equipped with a number of burly men wielding choppers.
- It was then that I saw the crowd of women running up with sickles and choppers, shouting slogans.
- There are hammerstones, cores, and flakes associated with the manufacturing of Oldowan assemblages, as well as choppers and scrapers.
- The stone tools found with the hominid remains at Dmanisi, however, are simple choppers and scrapers similar to the Oldowan set found in the Olduvai Gorge, Tanzania.
- The victim, 17, was walking with a friend to a shop in Verdant Lane, Catford, when he was attacked by a gang of youths armed with the wood chopper and a wheel brace, the Old Bailey heard on March 16.
- They could make simple stone axes and choppers, and had brains about two-thirds the size of ours.
- Great North Air Ambulance paramedic John Kerr said that although conditions on the helicopter were cramped, the chopper's small size meant that it could land on a piece of ground the size of a tennis court.
- And then, at daybreak also, choppers and fixed-wing aircraft were out here, an armada of them, dumping thousands upon thousands of gallons of water on the hot spots and on the flames.
- The company's fleet of 13 airplanes and helicopters is down to two planes and one chopper.
- The chopper rolled over the top of the aircraft, gushing fuel and fire as it tumbled.
- Smoke was seen rising from the wreckage of the Black Hawk helicopter, and other US choppers were seen hovering nearby.
- They also had help from choppers, bombers, other supporting elements of the 10th Mountain Division and small groups of Special Forces operatives.
- These choppers intercept several aircraft a week that have entered the no-fly zone.
- After a half-day's delay, the choppers returned to Kulis.
- But it has had its tranquility shattered over the past few days, with the front lawn being converted into a helipad for the choppers ferrying staff to and from the stricken freighter.
- The US recently stepped up its relief efforts, sending in 11 more Chinook helicopters to join the 17 US choppers already flying missions into the quake zone.
- Kitted out with the latest medical equipment and staffed with paramedics, the chopper's small size allows it to land on a piece of ground the size of a tennis court.
- The capacity of some of the RAF's choppers would reduce the number of flights necessary to complete the work, leaving everybody better off.
- The 47s picked up patients from the choppers and rushed them to full-fledged hospitals in Japan.
- The choppers, eight total, left the Nimitz and were supposed to fly formation, low level, to the meet area.
- The two choppers from the Alaska Air National Guard's 210th Rescue Squadron climbed carefully over the layers of Mount McKinley's clouds while skirting the glacier.
- Three of the helicopters had seen service as air-sea rescue choppers, the Alouette, the Dauphin and the current Sikorsky S61.
- About thirty minutes later the chopper landed in the helipad.
- ‘When I got to Canberra and started flying choppers, I played but it was a once in a while,’ he says.
- Like the other three Coastguard helicopters, the Sligo chopper is equipped with all the latest search and navigational equipment and has an automatic hover capability.
- Several Ranger and Delta elements of the attack force immediately secured the area around the chopper.
3US informal(motorbike)moto feminine
- The father-of-three was fascinated by choppers, the low seated motorcycles made famous in the film Easy Rider, since being a teenager.
- The games, to be published under the Activision Value Brand, will draw inspiration from the show's depiction of a father and son who build chopper motorcycles in their garage.
- Wall to wall choppers is not something that I really want to get into - I am happy with my ‘Raleigh Roadster’.
- Even the heavy accent on chrome plating which is so characteristic of genuine choppers is absent in the Indian versions.
- I also wonder why the police don't take a little more interest in the crazy foreigners who rent the huge chopper style motorcycles and who use the road as a drag strip.
- I have four dirt bikes, a ' 93 Harley-Davidson Low Rider and an ' 03 custom chopper.
- He wrote Shadowmancer in six months - but thinking no publisher would touch it he sold his 1000 cc chopper motorcycle to self-publish last October.
- Huge sales of traditional games and toys - even chopper bikes - suggest a backlash against computer games and high-tech toys.
- "The Chopper bike has got universal appeal and I think it will be very popular.
- The 1970s detail is quite particular: a chopper bike, space hopper and the piercing tunelessness of the daughter's descant recorder are all thrown into the rowing family's maelstrom.
- Quite a few of them would have dreamed about sinking into the low saddle of a Harley Davidson chopper and thundering off with the feet resting up front and the hands on high handlebars.
- Paris not only lives in a spotless Beverly Hills mansion; she also has her own bright pink Chopper bike.
- There were representatives from a wide variety of motorcycle organizations, as well as a fine collection of custom choppers.
4British vulgar slang(penis)verga feminine vulgar slangpija feminine River Plate vulgar slangpicha feminine Spain vulgar slangpico masculine Chile vulgar slang
informaldientes postizos masculinecomedor masculine informal humorous
- If the meth user neglects his dental hygiene, as many reportedly do, it's goodbye choppers, hello dentures.
- Kids have fewer stains on their choppers, and those under 12 should ask a dentist before whitening.
- As an added bonus, embracing this look is almost guaranteed to lead to thoughts of rugged, chisel-jawed types with big choppers.
- The Sonicare cleans your choppers with sound waves that produce 31,000 brush strokes per minute.
- You're not a bad person for finding comfort in thumb-sucking, but you are permanently damaging your choppers.
- The teeth whitening specialists are already booking up fast, so get your choppers down there quick.
- A standard set of 16 veneers over dingy old teeth, and the homely are transformed with instant white choppers.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.