In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Then the bowl is thrust at me with battered wooden chopsticks and a porcelain spoon.
- Dishes are served on a revolving plate in the centre of the table, and food is deftly picked up with chopsticks as it comes by.
- Japanese chopsticks are too thin and Chinese chopsticks are hardly shaped at all.
- Her dark tresses were twisted into an oddly shaped bun with two chopsticks sticking from them.
- Also, never tap the bowls on the table with chopsticks as many Chinese believe only beggars do this.
- As for the carvings, I bought some rather lovely chopsticks made from wild betel nut palm and a dolphin carved from the nut of the sago palm.
- There are also new, shrink wrapped Japanese chopsticks to take back to the table.
- Once there, they had to pick up four jellybeans out of a bowl and put them on a plate using only a tricky pair of chopsticks.
- All the tables were pre-set with linen napkins, bowls, china spoons and chopsticks on a green cloth.
- At first, fumbling with chopsticks, he found it hard to grasp the food.
- In the Chinese way, we both helped ourselves to each of the dishes, breaking open new, clean chopsticks from a supply on each table.
- Unique china and cherrywood chopsticks are placed on elegant silver holders to make the food look more appealing.
- Only at funerals are chopsticks stuck into the rice that is put onto the altar.
- Therefore, chopsticks are also looked upon as the quintessence of Japanese culture.
- It's like trying to build a house using only chopsticks and a hammer.
- There are metal forks and spoons, melamine Chinese spoons and plastic chopsticks.
- Naturally, she doesn't know how to use chopsticks, since she doesn't eat Chinese food.
- Roll up with a fork or chopsticks, and place on the frissé salad.
- Men also wear pouches on the right side of their belts to hold a small knife and a pair of chopsticks.
- These are used to create goods such as bowls, cutlery, chopsticks and even wine cups.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.