In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1masculino pastel de Navidad
- We will have all the regular produce on sale from fresh home baking, free range eggs, jams, honey, pickles, chutneys, plum puddings and Christmas cakes.
- The Christmas cakes at that time were all rich plum cakes with white icing.
- Most people today, as in Victorian and Edwardian times, make their Christmas cakes and pudding several weeks in advance as recommended by Mrs Beeton to be stored for improvement.
- Also, if you are interested in ordering Christmas cakes or plum puddings, please contact the above number.
- Orders are now being taken in time for Christmas for Christmas cakes, puddings, mince pies, flower arrangements, holly wreaths and crafts
- Orders may now be placed for Christmas cakes, puddings, turkeys, geese etc.
- Gifts of donations for men and women of socks, vests and underwear, toiletries, Christmas cakes, boxes of biscuits etc will be most welcome as will good used warm clothing for men, warm blankets, etc.
- They've already got out the Christmas cakes and puddings, and half an aisle is bedecked in holly and red and green decorations.
- It is also the home of a distinctive Christmas cake, Dresdner stollen.
- Baking is a passion of mine so I bake all sorts of sponge cakes and Christmas cakes for my friends.
- Tins of biscuits, Christmas cakes, and boxes of sweets are also requested.
- Now is the time to make your Christmas cake in order to give it time to mature.
- They would like you to contribute Christmas cakes, buns, shortbread, and mince pies.
- You can order Christmas cakes, puddings and mince pies.
- In the larder stood a huge Christmas cake covered with marzipan and thick white icing, which Beth had baked several months ago.
- In fact this year they have produced - and sold - between 60,000 to 70,000 plum puddings, not to mention thousands of Christmas cakes, as well as their normal products.
- Which supermarkets have the best Christmas cake, mince pies and stuffing?
- About half the population will listen to or view the Queen's speech, buy a Christmas tree and have an Advent calendar hanging in the house, and 40 per cent will make a Christmas cake or pudding, the survey suggests.
- The local branch of country markets will have a large stand with lots of tempting home baked goods such as Christmas cakes, puddings, jams, chutneys and other edible gifts for giving or eating.
- Another way you can share your positive self-esteem is to simply invite a few friends over and bake some traditional ginger bread cookies, or a Christmas cake.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.