In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The Street Maintenance Division will patch large chuckholes to eliminate traffic hazards in substandard public streets and clean adjacent ditches, but will not resurface the street.
- Only three chuckholes were reported in the city limits and the Mayor filled them on the spot.
- And now, they have to drive on residential streets that are rutted and full of icy chuckholes because the city doesn't clear those streets.
- The chuckhole is cleaned and the failed base removed.
- More likely problems are minor cracks, crumbling and chuckholes, which are relatively easy to repair.
- This places the chuckholes and the like in the area between the rear wheels of the prime mover and the wheels of the trailer.
- Dusty when dry, filled with bottomless chuckholes when wet, and with few bridges, the roads were often impassible.
- The Soapy-Dope, a mean old monster who lives in a chuckhole beside the road, likes to scare happy little woodland animals.
- We bicycled around old town dodging ruts and chuckholes and ignoring the stares from the locals and uniformed children getting out of school.
- To report chuckholes and low areas filled with water, call the Department of Public Works Assistance Center.
- The bad thing about this time of year is all chuckholes and also the debris that is along the curb.
- Much of the highway is in fair condition, with older patched pavement and a minimum of gravel breaks and chuckholes.
- Maybe the next hailstorm could fill a few of our chuckholes… if we pray for the kind that hails from Texas.
- If you are a bicycle commuter on Airport Way, that chuckhole near Lucille St. isn't all you have to worry about (and yes, there is a chuckhole in the road headed north - beware).
- Ms. Dickey had simply arrived on the employer's premises shortly prior to the start of her work shift, parked her vehicle in the accustomed place, and had moved only a short distance when she slipped on ice in a chuckhole adjacent to the rear of her vehicle.
- The secret to a long lasting patch is to have the chuckhole clean and dry before you start.
- My front tire went into a huge chuckhole and, contrary to what I thought, did not decide to exit the chuckhole.
- A deep chuckhole creates a severe jolt and can cause a stopping fall where the wheel stops suddenly while momentum carries the cyclist over the handlebars.
- They will be cruising along a thoroughfare when an enormous chuckhole appears ahead in the road.
- The durability courses contain rough road surfaces such as resonance, impact and chatter bumps, chuckholes, V-ditches, twists and washboards for testing chassis body and suspension components.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.